Could mum and dad do with some extra help to get stuff sorted around the house? Are your grandparents struggling with getting out and about? Then Support 55 can help!
Support 55 offer free support and advice to anyone aged 55 and above living in North or West Sheffield. We can help with all sorts, from finding new housing (and moving in!), adapting your home, maximising your benefits or even just building your confidence so you can do these things on your own.
Best of all? It’s completely free!
Where do Support 55 work?
We cover all of North and West Sheffield, including:
- S3 – Upperthorpe, Neepsend and Burngreave.
- S4 – Fir Vale, Firshill, Grimesthorpe and Pitsmoor.
- S5 – Parsons Cross, Shiregreen, Southey Green, Longley, Firth Park and Woodside.
- S6 – Wadsley, Loxley, Hillsborough, Stannington, Walkley, Middlewood, Wisewood and Bradfield.
- S9 – Wincobank and Brightside.
- S10 – Crookes, Crookesmoor, Crosspool and Broomhill.
- S35 – High Green, Grenoside, Burncross, Chapeltown and Ecclesfield.
- S36 – Stocksbridge, Deepcar, Wharncliffe, Oughtibridge and Worrall.
It doesn’t matter if you’re not an SYHA tenant, own your own home or live in a home owned by another landlord – we can help.
What can we help you with?
The way we work with you is tailored to whatever you need. We’ll team you up with a named member of staff who will come to your home or meet you somewhere else if you prefer. They will talk to you about how we can help and really take the time to get to know you.
The type of support we can offer you is wide and varied, but some of the things we regularly get asked to help with include:
- Building confidence to develop new friendships and social activities.
- Maximising income through benefits such as Attendance Allowance and helping manage debt.
- Help to access food if the person is in difficulty.
- Accessing aids and adaptations to enable the person to stay in their home if they are having mobility or health difficulties.
- Finding new housing if their home is no longer suitable, for example, if their needs have changed following a stay in hospital.
- Assisting with hoarding, clearing a home and getting it re-decorated.
- Signposting to other specialist services.
How you can get involved
If you or someone you know is feeling lonely and could do with getting out and about why not tell them about our Support 55 art group at Helliwell Court in Stocksbridge? It’s a fortnightly group where older people locally come together, relax and enjoy drawing, colouring and getting creative. And it’s completely free!
We’ve had some great feedback from people who have come along to the group who we’ve really seen come out their shell – but don’t just take our word for it, here’s what some of the group had to say:
“I really enjoy coming. It’s a social event because you get to meet other people when you’re here.” – Glenn
“It’s been very enjoyable and given us a new hobby.” – Brenda
“My son always asks if I’ve come to the group because he knows I enjoy it and likes to know I’m meeting people.” – Nellie
To find out more about the group email Jenny at email@example.com
Make a referral
Anyone can be referred to Support 55 – you can refer yourself, a family member, neighbour or a friend. To help us find out how we can best assist, all you need to do is fill in a referral form and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in touch
If you’d like to find out more about how we might be able to work with you or someone you know, why not have a chat with our friendly team by calling 0114 290 8359 or you can drop us an email at email@example.com