Your Benefits

Your Benefits: a guide to what your and your family are entitled to.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

You may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

  • If you’re aged 16 to 64 you could get between £22 and £141.10 a week by claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.
  • You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

To find out more visit this page.

Bedroom Tax

The amount of housing benefit you are entitled to has changed, and a cut in the amount of housing benefit will be made if you have a spare bedroom in your home.

The two main points of the change, which have been introduced by the government, are:

    • If you have one ‘spare’ bedroom, your housing benefit will be cut by 14%
    • If you have two or more ‘spare’ bedrooms, your housing benefit will be cut by 25%

To find out more visit this page.

Benefit Cap

The amount of benefits a single person or family can claim have been capped by the Government. Below is some useful information on how your benefits might be affected.

Will the benefit cap affect me?

If you’re single adult or parent, your benefits will be capped at £350 per week. If you’re in a couple, your benefits will be capped at £500 per week.

Larger families will be affected most as they currently receive more benefits.

If you’d like to find out more detail about how the benefit cap will affect you directly, you can use this handy benefits calculator.

Which benefits are capped?

The following benefits are reduced in line with the benefits cap:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Child Benefit

Who won’t be affected?

The benefit cap won’t apply to you if you currently receive any of the following:

  • Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments
  • Attendance Allowance
  • The support component of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credits
  • War Widows / Widowers Pensions

Want to know more?

If you’d like to find out more about whether the benefits cap will affect you, contact our Customer Service Team on 0114 2900 200

Council Tax Support

Changes to council tax benefit mean you may be responsible for paying council tax.

Each local authority is responsible for their own rules about how much residents need to contribute to their Council Tax. It’s part of the government’s current welfare changes which have been designed to save money – especially within local authorities. Contact your local authority to find out more about their rules.

Will you be affected?

If you’re aged between 16 and 64 you’re likely to have to pay some Council Tax. If you’re over 65, these changes shouldn’t affect you.

For full details about how these changes might apply to you, you should get in touch with your local council straight away.

Want to know more?

If you’d like more information on the changes to Council Tax, get in touch with our customer service team.

Don’t forget that your local authority will be able to give you full details, and the following websites are also extremely useful.