End my tenancy

If you’re moving to a new home, here’s some information about what you need to do.

Let us know before you leave

If you decide that you’d like to leave your South Yorkshire Housing Association home and end your tenancy, it’s important to let us have at least four weeks’ notice.

You can end your tenancy on our online customer services.

Find out more about our online services and create your account.

You can also give your notice by writing to Ending My Tenancy, 152 Rockingham Street, Sheffield, S1 4EB.

If you’d like any more information about moving out, call us on 0800 1380 380.

Return your keys to us

When you move out, you’ll need to return all of the keys you have for your home, including communal entrance and gate keys.

  • Return the keys to our office on Rockingham Street. You’ll need to return them before 12.00pm on the day your tenancy ends.
  • If you’re unable to return the keys to the office, please call us to let us know. We’ll probably ask you to send the keys back to us, in a secure package and with recorded delivery.

If you need more time

If your plans change after you’ve given your notice, and you need to stay in your home longer, let us know right away.

Before you move

  • Let your utility providers (gas, water, electric, broadband) know that you are moving. You will need to take and submit your final meter readings on the day that you move house.
  • You may also need to tell people like your bank, TV licensing, your doctor, and the DVLA about your change of address.
  • You can redirect your post through Royal Mail. You will need to do this least five working days before you move house.
  • If you claim benefits to help with housing costs, you will need to let your local Benefits Office know that you’re moving.
  • Take all your personal belongings with you, and make sure that the house and garden are clean and tidy.

We wish you lots of happiness in your new home.