At South Yorkshire Housing Association we’re passionate about sustainability. As an organisation we have a responsibility to our customers and communities to protect, and improve our environment.
We believe that in order for our customers to settle at home, live well and realise their potential we have to provide services that are sustainable. This could be through building greener, more energy efficient homes, changing the way we work so that we burn less fossil fuels or encouraging our customers and staff to adapt their lifestyles to help protect the environment.
We’ve outlined our LiveGreen vision, our commitment to sustainability, below:
“We will embed environmental, social and economic sustainability in all our operations. We will lighten our environmental footprint, help our customers to do the same and support communities by tackling fuel poverty.”
Being green can save you hundreds of pounds
We’re always working on new ways to help our customers cut their energy and water use, lower their bills and reduce the amount of waste they generate. But we’re also cutting our own utility bills, reducing waste, recycling more, improving our energy efficiency and reducing our use of transport.
Below are some top tips on all sorts of things that can help you save money and be green!
- How to use less energy and water
- Cutting down on condensation and mould
- Energy use mythbuster
- Setting your heating to a timer
- Reading your gas and electricity meter
- Using a SMART meter
- Understanding your energy bills
- Help to pay your bills
- Getting the most out of your solar panels
- Advice for buying appliances
- Reducing your food bill (and waste)
- How to recycle more in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Selby and Wakefield
Running a car is expensive with rising fuel prices on top of insurance, tax and the inevitable repair bills. Using public transport, riding a bike or even just walking will keep your fuel and maintenance bills down, as well as avoiding the frustration and stress of being stuck in traffic jams.
Below is some useful information on alternatives that can cut your transport costs:
- Public transport
- Plan your journey on public transport by visiting Travel South Yorkshire’s website. You’ll be able to find live updates on the timetable for the bus, tram or train.
- On your bike
- Eco driving tips
- Simple changes to your car driving habits can cut your fuel bills and maintenance costs, as well as improving your safety. For simple tips head over to www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/travel
Switching energy provider can cut your energy bill
You might have seen in the news recently that energy bills are on the rise and everyone is being advised to switch energy supplier to save money. It sounds like a lot of effort to save a few pennies a month doesn’t it? But what if just by sending a text or an email you could save yourself hundreds of pounds a year?
That’s what Joyce Costello did. She saw our text message offering free advice and support to switch energy supplier and saved a massive £280 a year on her energy bill.
Mrs Costello’s housing officer, Mo, sat down with her and went through the whole energy switch process step-by-step.
By doing a quick energy provider comparison online we saved Joyce £280 a year on her energy bills!
We’ve put together a handy guide to help you through the energy switching process – take a look by clicking here.
Get in touch
If you’d like to find out more about how you can start making little changes that can save you hundreds of pounds (and help protect the environment) why not get in touch?
All you need to do is give us a call on 0114 2900 200 and talk to one of our expert advisors.