Our commitment to sustainability
At South Yorkshire Housing Association we are passionate about sustainability. We take our responsibility to our customers and communities, and doing our bit to protect and improve the environment very seriously.
For our customers to settle at home, live well and realise their potential we believe it is important to provide services that are sustainable. This could be through providing greener, more energy efficient homes, changing the way we work so that we burn less fossil fuels or supporting our customers and staff to adapt their lifestyles to help protect the environment and cutting their bills.
Our LiveGreen vision, our commitment to sustainability, is:
“We will embed environmental, social and economic sustainability in all our operations. We will lighten our environmental footprint, help our customers to do the same and support communities by tackling fuel poverty.”
Being green can save you hundreds of pounds
We are working hard to cut our utility bills, reduce waste, recycle more, improve our energy efficiency and reduce our use of cars.
But we’re also working on new ways to help our customers to cut their energy and water use, lower their bills and reduce the amount of waste they generate.
Below are some top tips on simple things that can help you save money and be green!
- How to use less energy and cut your bills
- How to cut your water use and bills
- How to switch energy supplier and save money
- Cutting down on condensation and mould
- Energy use mythbuster
- Setting your heating controls
- Reading your gas and electricity meter
- Using SMART meters
- Understanding your energy bills
- Help to pay your energy bills
- Getting the most out of your solar panels
- Buying efficient appliances
- Reducing your food waste and bill
- How to recycle more in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Selby and Wakefield
- Gardening for wildlife
Running a car is expensive with rising fuel prices on top of insurance, tax and the inevitable repair bills. Using public transport, riding a bike or even just walking will keep your fuel and maintenance bills down, as well as avoiding the frustration and stress of being stuck in traffic jams.
Below is some useful information on alternatives that can cut your transport costs:
- Public transport
- Plan your journey on public transport by visiting Travel South Yorkshire’s website. You’ll be able to find live updates on the timetable for the bus, tram or train.
- On your bike
- Eco driving tips
- Simple changes to your car driving habits can cut your fuel bills and maintenance costs, as well as improving your safety. For simple tips head over to www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/travel
Switching energy provider can cut your energy bill
You might have seen in the news recently that energy bills are on the rise again and everyone is being advised to switch energy supplier to save money. It sounds like a lot of effort to save a few pennies a month doesn’t it? But what if just by sending a text or an email you could save yourself hundreds of pounds a year?
That’s what Joyce Costello did. She saw our text message offering free advice and support to switch energy supplier.
Mrs Costello’s housing officer, Mo, sat down with her and went through the whole energy switch process step-by-step.
By doing a quick online energy supplier comparison we saved Joyce £280 a year on her energy bills!
We’ve put together a handy guide to help you through the energy switching process – take a look by clicking here.
Get in touch
If you’d like to find out more about how you can start making little changes that can save you hundreds of pounds (and help protect the environment) why not get in touch?
All you need to do is give us a call on 0114 2900 200 and talk to one of our expert advisors.