Anti social behaviour

We want you to live in harmony with your neighbours. Whether you’re an SYHA customer yourself or you live in an area where we work, we take anti-social behaviour seriously. 

At South Yorkshire Housing Association, we’ve worked hard to prevent anti-social behaviour (or ASB for short) and in October 2012 we were accredited by both HouseMark and Social Landlords Housing and Nuisance Group for the way we deal with ASB.

We were also regional winners in the National Housing Federation’s Community Impact Awards for our Respect Project which saw us working with Sheffield Sharks Basketball Team, the police and the fire service to make young people aware of the impact of ASB.

The result is that we’re fast reducing ASB in our neighbourhoods and communities. But if you do experience ASB, this page has all the information you need to know about what to do – and how to report it.

What is ASB?

To us, ASB can mean any behaviour that causes a nuisance, annoyance or distress to you or any other person living in, working in or visiting an SYHA neighbourhood.

It can range from loud music and minor vandalism through to threats and abusive behaviour, and it can have different effects on different people.

What can I do if I experience ASB?

The very first thing you should do is speak to whoever is causing you distress. More often than not, the person causing the problems will have absolutely no idea that their actions are causing such a level of distress to you. Having a quick, calm, chat can often fix the problem right away.

If you’ve already tried this, or you’re really not comfortable speaking to them yourself, then there are people who can help.

If a crime has been committed – such as damage to property – or there is a risk to someone’s safety you must report it to the Police straight away.

For any type of ASB, including noise nuisance you should contact us straight away during office hours which are 9am to 5pm.

If you need to report noise nuisance outside of these times, you should contact the Environmental Health Department at your local council. They may be able to act immediately to stop the noise or they may ask you to keep records of when the noise is happening so they can also investigate.

If you’d like to find out more about our approach to anti-social behaviour you can take a look at our anti-social behaviour policy by clicking here.

For any other type of ASB, you should contact us straight away.

Reporting Anti Social Behaviour

You can tell us about anti-social behaviour by:

  • Phoning us on 0114 2900 200 or 0800 1380 380
  • Emailing us at
  • Writing to us or visiting us at 43-47 Wellington Street, Sheffield, S1 4HF
  • Speaking in person to any member of our staff

What will SYHA do?

If you tell us about ASB, we will:

  • Treat you seriously and investigate the incident sensitively and consistently
  • Acknowledge your report in writing within 24 hours
  • Allocate you a dedicated case officer and tell you who they are
  • Speak to you within 5 working days or 24 hours if your complaint concerns violent behaviour or harassment
  • Contact you at least every two weeks to keep you up to date with what we’re doing to rectify the problem
  • Tell you what we have done to deal with the problem or explain to you why we are unable to take action
  • Contact you within two weeks of closing your complaint to ask for your views on how we handled it
  • Offer support to you and any witnesses, and tell you about anyone else who can help, such as Victim Support

We also promise to work closely with local authorities, the police and other agencies to prevent further ASB, and we’ll speak to anyone responsible for the ASB too.

Want to know more?

If you’d like more help, information or advice on ASB, please give us a ring on 0114 2900 200 or or 0800 1380 380, or send an email to