Universal Credit

Everything you need to know about Universal Credit

The way you receive your benefits is changing. Universal credit is a single monthly payment that will replace:

  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Working tax credits
  • Child tax credits
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

At the moment only new, single applicants of working age can claim it. Pensioners will not be affected by Universal Credit.

How to claim it

It’s really easy, all you have to do is visit the Universal Credit website.

If you have any problems you can contact the Universal Credit helpline by calling 0345 600 0723.

How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid once a month, usually into your bank, building society or credit union account. If you live with your partner and you both claim Universal Credit you’ll receive a single payment that covers you both.

You’ll get a letter and your first payment around 6 weeks after you’ve finished applying for Universal Credit and the letter will tell you:

  • When you’ll normally get paid
  • How much you’ll be paid
  • Which bank account it’ll be paid into

Find out more

There’s lots of information out there to help you if you have any questions about Universal Credit. We’ve put together a handy list of websites which have lots of information you might find useful.