What is a carbon monoxide alarm?

There have been some changes to the law about managing risks relating to carbon monoxide detection in your home. As a social housing landlord, we must now make sure that carbon monoxide alarms are provided to homes that need them.

A carbon monoxide alarm is similar to a smoke alarm, and is fitted in rooms with a fixed combustion appliance (other than cookers). The alarm will sound if carbon monoxide is present, and alert you that there is a fault that needs to be reported and attended to urgently. Fitting a carbon monoxide alarm will add an extra safety measure to your home.


What is a carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas. Gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated are some of the main problems that can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. This one of the reasons it is so important to have all your gas appliances serviced annually.

As you can’t see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill quickly without warning. Carbon monoxide alarms can save lives by providing early warning of increasing carbon monoxide levels in your home.

Installing the alarms

If your home doesn’t have a carbon monoxide alarm, and you have gas appliances, someone will be visiting you in the next couple of weeks. Please help us carry out this important work by giving us access when we visit.

When they arrive, you should check the person’s ID badge. We’re working with our contractors Ashley & McDonough and JTomlinson to get them fitted. Someone from one of these companies, or a South Yorkshire Housing employee (including members of our own Home Maintenance Team), will visit you to carry out this work.

If you already have the necessary carbon monoxide alarms in your home, we won’t need to install any more.

Where will they be installed?

They will be installed in any rooms which have located in them a gas-powered boiler, or a gas fire. We do not need to install them in rooms with a gas cooker, unless it is in the same room as the gas meter, gas-powered boiler, or a gas fire.

When they have been fitted

Make sure that you test the carbon monoxide alarms regularly – we recommend that you do this weekly. If your alarm is not working, or if you think it is faulty or damaged, contact us as soon as possible. Please do not dispose of or remove the lithium batteries.

What if my carbon monoxide alarm goes off?

This could mean that a gas appliance in your home is leaking carbon monoxide. If your alarm goes off:

  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room
  • Switch off the appliance and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve
  • Evacuate the area
  • Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • Call us on 0800 1380 380